Here is what I heard:
"Dave. If you need something from me, I need you to just tell me exactly what you need. I know you prefer to ask questions and allow me to come up with solutions, but if you know what you want done, you can make my life easier as well if you just tell me exactly what you want."
A couple thoughts:
- What great feedback for all of those "over-collaborators" out there like me that like the deductive method of management. You know the kind, ask questions until the person comes to the realization themselves. Can that be powerful? Absolutely, but...
- That isn't always appropriate. Some stuff actually is simple. Moreover, some stuff actually lends itself better to just directing the action. I remember introducing my young son to using a fork when he was small. I could explain all I wanted about how the fork was superior to a spoon for picking up food but wasn't it just easier to say "here is how and when you use a fork". You bet it was easier...and faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment